February 24, 2012
Traveling is a stressful thing for many people, but it really doesn't have to be. I'm no expert on traveling but I've been an international traveler since I was an infant thanks to my family. We would travel to Morocco almost every summer to visit family and since then I've been trying to travel every chance I get. I've got to say I'm pretty calm when I travel (unlike my mom who is in constant hysterics) so here are a couple of tips and tricks that may help you out in future travel:
Travel & Packing Tips
- Pack Lightly - Ok - so, I totally over pack, but not to the point that my suitcase is jam packed. I have A LOT to pack and I over pack outfits because I'm a "mood" dresser and Amy get so irritated - but I can't help it! That brings us to #2 ->
- Wear some of your new clothes before vacation - I have so many new outfits I want to wear on vacation that I end up packing too much. That'll help when you're packing so you don't over pack. You can also test them out and see if you will want to wear them while on holiday.
- Clean out make up bag - Go through you make up bag and pick the pieces of make up you wear every day - don't pack the rest. If you need "night" make up, pack that. Most of our make up bags are full of make up we don't use every day and that takes up a lot of room.
- Pack the clothes at the bottom, make up and fragile pieces in the middle, and shoes up top. Your make up will have good support in the middle of your shoes and clothes and wont get bumped around as much (everyone hates those powder spills) and your suitcase wont fall over because it is well balanced with the heaviest part at the bottom.
- Tape your loose powder - Ugh how annoying is it when you open up your powder blush and it's all over the cover..well before you pack it - put some tape on the holes and you wont have it flipping over mid-flight.
- Control the weight of your bag - If you're worried about going over weight on your suitcase pack all of your jeans (they each weigh 1lb), make up, and shoes on your carry on.
- Wear your heaviest clothes if you're over packing- by no means layer up because that makes security a pain in the butt, but a pair of jeans, boots, your coat etc are fine. If you're not over packing - for the love of god - wear comfortable clothes! No one wants to sit next to someone fidgeting all flight because they wore skinny jeans and heals to look cute for their 7 hr flight.
- Reuse travel size containers - If you wear contacts you can reuse the travel size one by taking your full sizes contact solution and pooring it into a container (make sure container is very clean) and then suck in all the liquid with your travel size container by squeezing out all of the air and replacing it with the liquid.
- Don't wear jewelry, scarves, belts, or difficult shoes - If you must wear jewelry put it in your carry on and then wear it once you're past security.
- Bring two purses - I usually bring a purse, my computer bag, and a carry on. Before I get to the security line, I put my purse in my computer bag then after I take it out. This allows me to be able to look through my purse easily. Also most of the time, if you're traveling on a full flight, they will let you gate check your bag - which is great! I hate finding over head storage. On Virgin America if you gate check your bag you're allowed on the plane first.
Tonight I will hopefully be on a flight from Chicago to L.A. It some how always manages to snow the day before I travel. Sigh. But my flight is at 6pm so I think I should be fine.
Striped Shirt - Old Navy (on sale - $5!)
Black Jegging - Target
OTK Socks - Hue
OTK Boots - Aerosoles Baking Sota
Minimal & Comfortable - Perfect for traveling :)
Posted at 11:42 AM